Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

QoS router version requirement

I really want to apply some QoS and it seems fairly complex. I want to stop reading this stuff if I can't do it with my particular make/model of router/IOS. Where do I find the information about h/w and s/w requirements of QoS? Maybe someone can just tell me if it will work on my router.

NorthSide#sh version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-Y-M), Version 12.2(4)XW, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 14-Nov-01 02:47 by ealyon

Image text-base: 0x80008124, data-base: 0x807964E8

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: C1700 Software (C1700-Y-M), Version 12.2(4)XW, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

NorthSide uptime is 1 week, 7 hours, 24 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c1700-y-mz.122-4.XW.bin"

cisco 1720 (MPC860T) processor (revision 0x601) with 24576K/8192K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD053202AB (228972115), with hardware revision 0000

MPC860T processor: part number 0, mask 32

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Serial network interface(s)

WIC T1-DSU

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

5 REPLIES

Re: QoS router version requirement

Hi

Currently you are running with 12.2(4) code and needs to check out the exact feature set .

The kinda QOS functionality which you want to hve there in your network totally depends upon the IOS code.

Do key in the qos features you wish to have in your network..

regds

The only thing I want to be able to do is give certain IP addresses priority over others. Also, I have tried to find the feature set of 12.2(4) and have failed. What do I need to search for on cisco.com? I have tried several combinations of "QoS feature set 12.2(4)" "12.2(4) feature set" etc... Please help.

ok 2001 code doesn't cut it anymore... time to upgrade... youre about 10 generations behind what qos is like now...

you probably only have about 5 protocols when you

class-map match protocol <.>

And may of those are not used widely anymore....

upgrade to 12.3 or 12.4

Hello,

I feel your pain. When you have a seemingly small task to accomplish with this monster QoS toolkit, figuring out how to do it can be quite an undertaking. Maybe this will give you a head start…

The CCO Feature Navigator at http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp is the tool that you can use to see what features your IOS will support, and I usually take the option "Search by Platform." Though I was not able to find your specific code, so I looked at code nearest yours with the "IP" feature set. And I was looking for the features "Modular QoS CLI," “Low Latency Queuing,” and then any feature that begins with "class-based…"

From that output it appears that you have enough QoS functionality at 12.2.4~T to accomplish the basic goal that you stated: to give certain IP’s priority over others. There are a few different ways to give priority, but the following example using Class-based Weighted Fair Queuing (CBWFQ) will reserve 70% of your outbound bandwidth for specific IP’s during congestion. I do not have a 1720 to test this code on, but you can paste this in and see if it goes in properly (after correcting the interface name):

Class-map match-any HI_PRIORITY_IP

Match access-group name HI_PRIORITY_LIST

Policy-map PRIORITY_OUT

Class HI_PRIORITY_IP

Bandwidth percent 70 !--- this is CBWFQ

Interface

Service-policy output PRIORITY_OUT

If all of those commands take properly, then you’re golden. Note that so far you have not actually provided any priority, since you have not yet defined the HI_PRIORITY_LIST access-list. That means that putting in the commands above should be transparent, unless you run into a bug that bounces interfaces or crashes the box, and there are more than a few.

Then at this point, go ahead and define that HI_PRIORITY_LIST access-list to include the IP’s that should have priority, for example:

ip access-list extended HI_PRIORITY_LIST

permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any

This is a very basic CBWFQ/LLQ config, and note that this only kicks in during congestion. If your interface is not congested, then all traffic just flies right out that serial interface. You can verify QoS performance at any time via the command “show policy-map interface.”

If instead you want to limit certain IP’s to a max throughput at all times, whether there is congestion or not, you can use class-based shaping for that. Feature navigator did not list this feature at your IOS level, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it isn’t there, since the 12.2 QoS config guide lists it. You can paste this in and find out:

Class-map match-any LO_PRIORITY_IP

Match access-group name LO_PRIORITY_LIST

Policy-map PRIORITY_OUT

Class LO_PRIORITY_IP

Shape average 200000 !--- this is class-based shaping, in bps, therefore 200k

If it takes this, then you are good to go. Once again, since you have not defined the LO_PRIORITY_LIST access-list, nothing happens just yet. Once you put your lower priority IP’s into that new access-list, they will be shaped to 200k at all times.

Hopefully that helps. These links will take you directly to the commands used for these config examples:

Class-based WFQ at 12.2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800b75af.html#1041636

Class-based shaping at 12.2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800bd8f0.html#wp1000878

Good luck!

Best Regards

Robert

Robert,

Thanks so much for your great reply. You were right. I was overwhelmed until now. I am going to give your suggestions a whirl in the next couple of days. I will most likely have a question or two when I get to it. Thanks again.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content