Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS using VPN ISM for ISR G2 routers

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience or opnions about using QoS with the VPN ISM module on the ISR G2 routers?  The desire is to run a VPN tunnel from a remote site to a central site over the public Internet.  And before anyone chimes in I know there is no QoS over the INternet but I have found that if you run QoS at both ends and stay on the same providors network (All AT&T as an example) for all legs then you can achieve reasonable call quality most of the time.

Any advice, gotchas or differeing opinions are always welcome if done in the spirit of sharing.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Hints include: shape for end-to-end bandwidth if less than physical bandwidth, avoid fragmentation (enable PMTUD across tunnel and use tcp mss adjust), if shaper doesn't account for L2 overhead - adjust rate to allow for it, if doing VoIP you may need to reduce shaper's Tc, you may want/need to decrease TX ring limit, don't share Internet link with non-VPN traffic or use multiple tunnels that might oversubscribe bandwidth.

I've found with above, quality usually good across Internet even with mixed carrries because usually only the Internet ingress and egress points congest.

Thanks for the info.  As a followup to you or anyone else who would care to chim in I would like to have 2 differnet ISP connections into a 1941 router with this module.  One would be the primary and the other would be the secondary.  Any input on how this module handles failover and failback?

Thanks in advance!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card