cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS with GRE, IPSEC and Frame-Relay

steve.kerr
Level 1
Level 1

I need to apply some QOS to a frame relay link. However, I am running IPsec over a GRE tunnel across this link. I understand that I can use the QOS pre-classify command to allow the TOS bits to be relayed over the IPSEC link, but when I create the QOS set-up, do I need to configure it as frame-relay QOS or should it configured as if this was a standard serial connection??

4 Replies 4

joyride_us
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Steve,

the pre-classify will only copy the ToS bytes in the IPSec header.

I am no sure what you call Frame-relay QoS (what are you trying to achieve) but basically yes,you should configure your QoS strategy (marking,Queuing...) as a normal Frame Relay.

Good luck!

Basically, I need to prioritise two particular streams of business critical traffic.

My concern was that as I am using GRE tunnels with IPSec, do the QOS setting remain aware of the underlying frame-relay protocols or is it only aware of the GRE protocol as all traffic goes down the same tunnel and if so, will the QOS setting function correctly if set as for frame-relay?

I would think so yes. Not sure that I get you right but the PHB will just look at the ToS byte and behave accordingly according to the CIR, PIR and other possible parameters based only on the ToS bytes in the header!

Many thanks, I will try it out and let you know if it all works.

Regards

Steve Kerr

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card