Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Question about the MSFC2 card

Hi All,

I have a WS-SUP32-10GE-3B card. It has the MSFC2 card and on this card there is a large silver chip/processor.

This chip/processor has a large brown spot. It cannot be seen if I look at it at certain angles.

I cannot test the SUP because I do not have a 6500 chassi.

Could this large brown spot be on the chip because it has burned/overheated?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Question about the MSFC2 card

First of all , does the MSFC work? If not then a good sign it may be bad. Also does the board have a burnt smell to it. , Try feeling the chip, is it hot? Sometimes chips discolor or look abnormal upon normal heating processes while the board is powered up for some time. But if really noticeable then odds are the chip may have blown and you need to replace the MSFC or the whole motherboard...Good Luck...

Re: Question about the MSFC2 card

Hi there,

You won't be sure unless testing it, but it can be the special material used to fix the heat sink on this chip.

A heat sink is an environment or object that absorbs and dissipates heat from another object using thermal contact (in either direct or radiant contact).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Views
Helpful
Replies