Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Cisco WAAS evaluation

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

I want to evaluate Cisco WAAS. Questions:

1) On my two remote sites which will be used for testing, routers are 2600 and 3660. It is very hard for me to replace routers there on a timely manner.

If I grab a 2800 for the testing and add WAAS module on it, what would be topology to allow me to test this?

I mean, on the remote site I would have:

2600BorderRouter--->Firewall-->Cisco switch4507-->Users

Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Probably the easiest thing to do here would be to just use the external port on the NM-WAE and connect it to the 4507. No need to hook up any other interfaces on the 2800. Basically the NM-WAE would just be using the 2800 as a power supply.

By the way, is the 4507 configured as a L3 switch? It will need to be for this to work.

Otherwise, you might be better off with a WAE-512 with an inline card.

-Brad

Thanks. Yes, switch is doing L3.

How about WCCP or policy based routing? Do I need to configure WCCP if 2800+NM-WAE is connected to the switch as you mentioned. I want to get traffic optimized to all users in the site.

WCCP is the preferred method. Create a new VLAN between the WAE and the 4500.

Make sure the 4500 is at 12.2(31)SGA1 or higher.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_5184.html

-Brad

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

One other thing...

What kind of Firewall is that?

You may need to disable TCP sequence checking and disable TCP options scrubbing on that firewall, otherwise it will drop the packets coming from the WAE.

Unless it is a Cisco IOS/FW or ASA with newer code that has WAAS awareness.

-Brad

It is a layer 7 firewall, Sidewinder.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: