Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Question on controlling exit path OSPF Metric vs. Local-Pref

Hi folks,

The topology attached and explanation depicts the situation I have in production and I would like to confirm the following:

1) I see I can control traffic exit path via R2 just fine by increasing the OSPF metric. Then in case R2 is unavailable, R3 takes over as intended. I am not even touching BGP attributes in order to pick the exit path in this case. Does that make sense? I heard before that I should refrain from manipulating the OSPF metrics and use BGP (such as local-pref) to do this, but I am not sure if have an option in my case and I would like to confirm and it is acceptable to manipulate OSPF metrics to accomplish this instead of using BGP attributes. I have about 20 routers running OSPF already (and no iBGP) so if I can avoid doing iBGP internally that is better.

2) Given that I am doing redistribution from BGP-> OSPF internally, do I need or is there any benefit if I establish iBGP neighbor session between the two internal border routers R2<->R3?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content