Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding routing and multiple Wan upllinks on 6509E

tchaffin3662
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have what I hope is a simple question regarding WAN transit uplinks on a 6509E ad BGP.  The Hardware configuration is:

Cisco 6509-E Chassis with enhanced Fan

WS-SUP720-3BXL

WS-X6748-GE-TX

Dual power supply and 1 G flash for Engine

I'm currently using both 1 gig uplinks on the SUP for my two carrier transit uplinks (BGP). I would like to add a third carrier transit uplink into my BGP. Can I utilize the 6748 for access to the SUP720 routing to expand my transit carrier uplinks? Any thoughts on options without having to go to a 10gig SUP720?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom

I do not see any reason that you could not use one of th ports on the 6748-GE-TX to establish  a link to another provider.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Actually for a sup720B, you 6748 ports might actually better support your uplinks, as I believe they support better queuing features than the sup's gig ports.  In other words, not only might it be okay to place your third link on the 6748, but you might want to move your two existing links there too.  (Does your 6748 also have a DFC?)

PS:

If these gig carrier transit links get busy, you might want to consider one of the "WAN" oriented gig port cards.

Thanks for the responses.

Joseph, the 6748 comes with a CFC but I can upgrade to a DFC for better performance.

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

With fabric cards, the sup720B is rated up to 30 Mpps, so if this is sufficient for you current traffic load, there would be little advantage of adding the DFC.  (If you did, though, the DFC for a 67xx line card adds [for just that card] 48 Mpps.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card