Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

question regrading rip and eigrp

hi all

if a network is running both rip and eigrp , if on eigrp "auto summarisation is there" . if router on that network get 2 routes from both rip and eigrp "rip

got = 150.24.5.0 " and eigrp get = 150.24.5.0 "

case : 1

if rip was configured its admin distance as 90 " and eigrp is also admin distance 90 which route will it choose

case =2

if rip admin distance is 120 and eigrp admin distance is 90

case : 3

if i make eigrp "no auto summary "

then via rip that router get "150.24.0.0" and via eigrp that will get "150.24.5.0"

and apply the same above case 1 and case 2 for the above scenario which route a router will choose .

thanks

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: question regrading rip and eigrp

Case 1: both RIP and EIGRP advertise the same prefix 150.24.5.0 (I assume /24 - if not it may make a difference) and both are configured with the same administrative distance then IOS will choose one of the routes to put into the routing table. I tested this a long time ago and remember that the RIP route was chosen. There was a posting from a Cisco engineer in NetPro a little while back that says that the current behavior is that when there is a tie in administrative distance, that IOS will consider the default administrative distance to break the tie and so EIGRP would be chosen and put into the routing table.

case 2: both RIP and EIGRP advertise the same prefix 150.24.5.0 (I assume /24 - if not it may make a difference) and RIP has distance of 120 while EIGRP has distance of 90. In this case the EIGRP route is chosen and put into the routing table.

case 3: RIP advertises 150.24.0.0 (I assume /16) and EIGRP advertises 150.24.5.0 (I assume /24). In this case it does not matter what the administrative distance is because there are 2 different prefixes and both of them will be put into the routing table. The EIGRP route will be used for any addresses within 150.24.5.0/24 and RIP route will be used for all other addresses within 150.24.0.0/16.

HTH

Rick

hi rick

thanks for your reply

in case 3 if both rip and eigrp has admin distance 90 and if rip advirtizes 150.24.0.0/16 and eigrp adverstizes 150.24.5.0/24 then which one will be taken. will both router appear in the routing table?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

In my previous answer I said clearly that in case 3 both routes are put into the routing table.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies