Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

queue-limit and hw-buffer

hi,

my question:

i have a router with a serial frame-relay link.

on this link i enabled cbwfq - gold,silver queue.

i saw a lot of drops in the gold-queue, so i tuned the gold-queue with the "queue-limit" command - and now it is ok.

my question is a general on:

is there a relationship between the "queue-buffer" and the "hardware-buffer" from the interface.

in my understanding it is necessary to increase the hw-buffer (tx-ring) if i increase the softwarebuffer in the queues - right.

i did a lot of search on cco but i did not find the right paper.

is anyone out there who has a technical describtion of this relationship??

thanks a lot and greetings from austria

• WAN Routing and Switching
2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: queue-limit and hw-buffer

Greetings from Australia to you !

The "queue-limit" command configures the size of the software queue. The "tx-ring-limit" command configures the size of the hardware queue.

When using a fancy queueing mechanism like CBWFQ on an interface, IOS will automatically set the tx-ring size to a smaller value. You can tune this further using the tx-ring-limit command. In general, when using software queueing, you want the tx-ring size to be as small as possible (while being large enough to drive the interface to full capacity).

So the answer to your question is: NO, you do not need to increase the hw-queue size when increasing the software queue-limit.

Hope that helps - pls rate posts that help.

Regards,

Paresh

Re: queue-limit and hw-buffer

Don't know if you knew this one already:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk757/technologies_tech_note09186a0080103eae.shtml

I hope it comes close to what you are looking for.

Regards,

Leo

Views
Helpful
Replies