cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Question regarding VLANs and Trunking

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

I've been tasked to allow only specific VLANs through a trunk connecting my Core machine (6509) to a switch loaded with servers.

The intent is to only allow traffic through the trunk that needs to be there.

My question is: When I run the command 'switchport trunk allowed vlan <vlan list>', will traffic be interrupted while the change is applied?

We have some very sensitive traffic that will be affected by even a slight interruption (ie, ODBC/SQL), so even a lost ping could cause some issues.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generally, you won't notice any disruption. The only time that I've seen it is when changing encapsulation types. I would script what you want, and then paste it in.

switchport trunk encapsultation dot1q

switchpo mode trunk

swit trunk allowed vlan add 1,10,15,25

Even though, in theory, you shouldn't see anything, I would create downtime if it's that sensitive.

Oh, and if the port is already in trunking mode and is passing traffic, then the only way that you would create downtime by adding new vlans is to remove a vlan that belongs on that trunk. Otherwise, you won't notice anything if you don't have to change the port modes.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generally, you won't notice any disruption. The only time that I've seen it is when changing encapsulation types. I would script what you want, and then paste it in.

switchport trunk encapsultation dot1q

switchpo mode trunk

swit trunk allowed vlan add 1,10,15,25

Even though, in theory, you shouldn't see anything, I would create downtime if it's that sensitive.

Oh, and if the port is already in trunking mode and is passing traffic, then the only way that you would create downtime by adding new vlans is to remove a vlan that belongs on that trunk. Otherwise, you won't notice anything if you don't have to change the port modes.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Good to know, thanks for the clarification.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card