cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"distance" command

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I am reading the documentation about the distance command in http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hirp_r/rte_pih.htm#wp1122260

In it, they say "When the optional access list number is used with this command, it is applied when a network is being inserted into the routing table. This behavior allows filtering of networks according to the IP address of the router supplying the routing information. This option could be used, as an example, to filter out possibly incorrect routing information from routers not under your administrative control."

I thought it was the opther way round. I thought that the ip-address and mask argument was what filters according to the advertising router, and the access list specifies which routes are affected. Am I wrong in this? Or is the documentation confusing?

Also, it is strange that the example in the IOS 12.4 Command docuementation is about IGRP, when IGRP is no longer supported in 12.4.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Kevin,

being a non-native English speaker I would definately opt for documentation being confusing ;-)

The IP specifies the router ID and the ACL specifies the networks learned from the router with specified ID. (Hopefully this sentence does not add confusion).

I would say in brief: you are right in your understanding of the command.

Regarding IGRP examples in 12.4 documentation: probably written by a SE ... they are reusing any document as much text as possible ;-)

Regards, Martin

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Kevin,

being a non-native English speaker I would definately opt for documentation being confusing ;-)

The IP specifies the router ID and the ACL specifies the networks learned from the router with specified ID. (Hopefully this sentence does not add confusion).

I would say in brief: you are right in your understanding of the command.

Regarding IGRP examples in 12.4 documentation: probably written by a SE ... they are reusing any document as much text as possible ;-)

Regards, Martin

Thanks for clarifying that, Martin.

Perhaps I should tell them, but I don't know how much they look at feedback.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card