Helpful
Replies

"ip domain name" command in Cisco router

cco4mike1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering what the command-

"ip domain name domainname.com" actually does on the router?

Having to enter this in recently to enable communication with an Alarm system company's equipment (via IP/ GPRS) has spurred me on to find out if this command is more than just a tag.

Without it, the customers Alarm system could not communicate back to the Alarm service providers equipment even though the required ports were opened (41001 and 41002) for 2 way communication through to the internal network's address- 10.100.1.101

Please let me know if there is much more than meets the eye with this command.

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It just does add he configured domain name to unqalified dns queries made by the router.

Like all cisco commands, it is documented in "ios command reference" freely available to anyone.

It is a bit strange that the command solved yourself a problem, because when dealing with alarms, asynch connections and private networks, domain names and dns are seldom used.

Yes it's very strange that it solved the problem, so in that case perhaps the customer's internal Server is doing more than I first thought. This part will also need to be looked at.

Thanks for your prompt response.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card