"show run" to keep track of last config change

pdesch
Level 1
Level 1

How come "show run" on some routers shows the following information:

! Last configuration change at 16:44:54 EDT Thu Sep 7 2006

! NVRAM config last updated at 16:48:49 EDT Thu Sep 7 2006

!

And some don't. For security reasons I'd like to be able to keep track of this. Is there a command that I'm missing? Or another way to keep track of config changes on routers?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vincent

I agree that configuring as you have suggested is a good thing and will put the date and time into syslog records and debug output rather than the uptime that is the default. But it will not solve the problem in the original post.

The issue in the original post is whether the router will record the time of the last update to the config in the config file. What controls that is whether the router considers that it has authoritative time. If the router believes that it has authoritative time it will put the timestamp into the config file and if it does not have authoritative time it will not.

A router can believe that it has authoritative time because you have set the clock (using the clock set exec command) or because it has learned time from a time server which has authoritative time because you have configured the router to do NTP. I believe that NTP is a much better solution than just setting the clock.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

try this:

service timestamps debug datetime

service timestamps log datetime

works on version 12.1

Vincent

I agree that configuring as you have suggested is a good thing and will put the date and time into syslog records and debug output rather than the uptime that is the default. But it will not solve the problem in the original post.

The issue in the original post is whether the router will record the time of the last update to the config in the config file. What controls that is whether the router considers that it has authoritative time. If the router believes that it has authoritative time it will put the timestamp into the config file and if it does not have authoritative time it will not.

A router can believe that it has authoritative time because you have set the clock (using the clock set exec command) or because it has learned time from a time server which has authoritative time because you have configured the router to do NTP. I believe that NTP is a much better solution than just setting the clock.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

perfect...thank you

Philip

Thank you for posting back to the forum and rating and marking that your issue is solved. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and know that an effective answer was provided.

I am glad that I was able to help you and encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card