cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

rate limit bandwidth

yeow_km
Level 1
Level 1

how can i limit the bandwidth usage of my WAN link ?

I have a 10Mb link from site office to HO.

recently, i notied that users at site office are accessing files from the HO network.

when they start the downloading, it takes up the whole 10Mb line.

how can i control the downloading of files to eg. 3Mb so that they would not choke up the 10Mb link ?

Interface              IHQ   IQD  OHQ   OQD  RXBS RXPS  TXBS TXPS TRTL

------------------------------------------------------------------------

* GigabitEthernet0/0       0     0    0   481 10829000  1372 7690000  1431    0

* GigabitEthernet0/1       0     0    0 170647 7972000  1433 11095000  1367    0

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description ** 10Mb WAN Link **

ip address 2xx.2xx.xx.xx 255.255.255.252

duplex full

speed 10

media-type rj45

end

5 Replies 5

yeow_km
Level 1
Level 1

is there tools that I can use to see what traffic is going in/out of my network ?

currently, I do not have such tools.

Hi,

shaping and policing can limit the bandwidth to a configured rate. You can do that on HR to limit the traffic for site office. Netflow is the free tool to tell you what traffic is in/out of your network.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

how can i limit the bandwidth usage of my WAN link ?

"How" is usually done by shaping or policing.

I have a 10Mb link from site office to HO.

recently, i notied that users at site office are accessing files from the HO network.

when they start the downloading, it takes up the whole 10Mb line.

how can i control the downloading of files to eg. 3Mb so that they would not choke up the 10Mb link ?

"How" would depend on devices at each end of the link.  If you can identify the "bad" traffic, you can restrict their bandwidth transfer rate to your 3 Mbps, although if your equipment supports it, prioritizing "good" over "bad" traffic usually makes for a better performing network.  If you're wondering why, well if at some moment there's only "bad" traffic, why artificially restrict it to 30%?  Or, if at some other moment, "good" traffic desires 90%, it won't obtain it if you allow "bad" to always have 30%.

If your end devices are routers, and if they support FQ, that alone can often work wonders vs. using FIFO.

most of the site office routers are 1841 and 1941.

for a start, i think i will enable netflow on the interface to see what are the traffic going in/out before doing any control.

will enabing the netflow commands choke up the routers ?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

will enabing the netflow commands choke up the routers ?

It usually doesn't offer too much additional load.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: