Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

rate-limit query

Hi Friends,

I have an interface configured with rate-limit command as below

rate-limit output access-group 140 64000 8000 8000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Can you plz help me understand what does the values 8000 & 8000 are? I am a bit confused with reading the command syntax from cisco. Also plese help me know how these values are calculated. Thx a lot.

- Manoj

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: rate-limit query

Hi,

Burst is a term used in a number of information technology contexts to mean a specific amount of data sent or received in one intermittent operation. It can be contrasted with streamed, paced, or continuous. Generally, a burst operation implies that some threshold has been reached that triggers the burst. Depending on the particular technology, a burst operation can be intermittent at a regular or an irregular rate.

To obtain the best use of burst-size and excess-burst-size, specify only the required bit-rate value. The software will automatically tune the other values for optimum performance.

BR,

Bjornarsb

Will my traffic for that particular access-list be limited to 64K or something more than that. If more, what would be the actual figure.

Bronze

Yes, average 64 K long-term

and you will also allow bursts (at the configured size) before traffic is concidered to exceed the rate-limit.

This makes you get a more nicer "curve"

BR,

Bjornarsb

Bronze

Hi,

How about traffic shaping instead?

The excess traffic is queued.

If the switch fabric queues overflow, the traffic is dropped.

traffic-shape group {target-bit-rate | bit per interval }

Br,

Bjornarsb

Views
Helpful
Replies