cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

re-establishing int BVI

miklafferty
Level 1
Level 1

I have a BVI interface that lost it's session overnight. I just had to shudown and no shutdown the interface. Is there a setting that will automatically restart the interface?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mik,

a BVI is a virtual L3 interface to be used with IRB to provide layer services to a bridge-group.

may you explain what you mean with

"a BVI interface that lost it's session overnight. I just had to shudown and no shutdown the interface"

do you mean you had IP connectivity issues in reaching the BVI's ip address?

session is usually used with PPP but in that case I would expect a virtual-template or a multilink PPP bundle interface.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Yes, I am using a bridge IRB over a multilink PPP. The bridge was up for 5 hours when it crashed and didn't come back up till I restarted the BVI interface. Following are the options I am currently using.

interface Multilink1

ip add xxx

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

bridge-group 1

end

interface BVI1

ip address xxx

keepalive 5

!

bridge 1 protocol ieee

!

Mik

Hello Mik,

I would expect only the BVI to have an IP address and the multilink to be a member of the bridge-group with no ip address.

I did in this way everytime I used IRB (for DSL bridged RFC 1483 termination for example).

However, I don't think this is an issue because in other examples in CCO for example on FR serial interfaces this is done.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

OK. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: