cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re-use Same Subnet

dcheng.dns
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where we will be moving part of our building, however, we do not want to change any IP addresses. This would not be a problem, except we have a PPP link to a third building that we need to keep. As part of the migration, this third building will have a new connection to both buildings. As a result, we will have the same subnet in two locations, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this.

I've thought about Mobile IP (not likely), source-destination NAT-ing (also not likely), trying to get a layer 2 connection between the new and old building (is that even possible with carriers?), possibly a wireless bridge if line-of-site is possible, or ???

Has anyone done something similar, and if so, what options did you consider? I haven't had a chance to sit down and really think this through, but I feel like I'm missing something simple!

Thanks,

David

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

It seems to me that the NAT for Overlapping Addresses would be the optimum solution for you, especially as far as access to/from the third building is concerned.

You have described the new and the old building as connected to the third building. Are they connected to anything else? Especially if there is Internet connectivity then there may be more challenges to address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

1) You can ask to TELCO, for LAN EXTENDER... if it is very nearest(Mean within 500 Ft to 1000 Ft) bldg.

SECURITY CONCERN MODERATE. But considrable.

2)If company want to keep really same IP addresses and infrastructure.... PUT FIBER from one bldg to another.

MOST SECURE SOLUTION

3)WIRELESS SOLUTION - Out door.

SECURITY AND PERFOMANCE WISE - Sometimes Poor proved.

4) You can do by little down time as following.

Take one leased line. (MOST EFFECTIVE SOLUTION FOR LONG DISTANCE)

If those PCs moves into NEW BLDG that are in one range...... Do subnetting. first change router interface sunet when you live. Prepare routing accordigly.

After active NEW LAN subnet it will take most prefix mask that you should have to ready.... prior to activate lan.

SECURITY WISE MOST SECURE AND EASY TO CONFIGURATION. If you consider Little down time for 5-10 min. and every companies understand 5-10 Min down time.

Because you will not move PCS from one BLDG to another BLDG with out shut. OKIE.

5) Last solution NAT.

MOST SECURE BUT CONFIGURATION LITTLE TUFF.

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card