cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reading policy-map output

paul amaral
Level 4
Level 4

I'm somewhat confused on the show policy-map int xxx output.

For example i have the following interface that is connected to our upstream. I want to classify RTP voip traffic and set it to trust DSCP.

sh policy-map interface gig5/2

GigabitEthernet5/2

Service-policy input: upstream_incoming_trust_policy

class-map: upstream_rtp (match-any)

Match: access-group 177

trust dscp

Earl in slot 5 :

208225296 bytes

5 minute offered rate 3452928 bps

aggregate-forwarded 208225296 bytes

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

5337 packets, 462686 bytes

5 minute offered rate 10000 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Match: any

10 permit udp any any range 16384 32767 (1720 matches)

I'm confused on how to read this, the 1st class shows alot more traffic in bytes than the class-default. I would think that i would see a lot more traffic on the class-default. What traffic is the class-default showing since its not that total traffic on that interface and its not what was matched on the upstream_rtp class.

if someone can go step by step on that output it would be great as i can't find a good source that explains how to read this.

Paul

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Paul,

It probably has something to do with your access-list 177 that's applied to the class. Can you post that?

The class-default is any traffic that doesn't match on any of your previous classes in the policy. It depends on the configuration of the class-maps (match any vs. match all) and if it's matching on those. If it doesn't match 100%, then it falls into the class-default class.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi Paul/John

The class-map upstream_rtp will match the access-list 177 , and will trust the dscp marking but only for the matched pakets. As John said , everything else is matched by the class-default .

Dan

John/Dan i understand that the class-default should match everything else but that where im confused is how the upstream_rtp class shows more bytes/offered rate than class-default.

shouldn't the class-default show more bytes/offered rate since this is for all traffic not matching ACL 177 in class-map upstream_rtp. Also the bps on the output below doesnt add up to the total input bps on the interface doing a show int.

sh policy-map  in gig 5/2

GigabitEthernet5/2

Service-policy input: upstream_incoming_trust_policy

class-map: upstream_rtp (match-any)

Match: access-group 177

trust dscp

Earl in slot 5 :

2187685393 bytes

5 minute offered rate 436352 bps

aggregate-forwarded 2187685393 bytes

Class-map: class-default (match-any)

42322 packets, 3653515 bytes

5 minute offered rate 8000 bps, drop rate 0 bps

Extended IP access list 177

10 permit udp any any range 16384 32767 (3085 matches)

sh int gigabitEthernet 5/2 | in 5 min

5 minute input rate 39927000 bits/sec, 6106 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 18284000 bits/sec, 4144 packets/sec

Extended IP access list 177

10 permit udp any any range 16384 32767 (3085 matches)

Paul,

The only thing that I could think of is what do you have primarily connected to g5/2? Is it another switch possibly that has nothing but phones on it and maybe a couple of workstations? The udp range that you're specifying is usually for phones.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

That interface is connected to my provider and there around 40 Megs of incoming traffic which is mostly regular data packets. I just cant figure out why the class-default doesnt show all the remaining bytes total that dont fall into other user specified class maps in the same policy. Also the offered rate is never the renaming total that again is not being offered by other class maps in the policy.

i guess the question is what doesnt the class-default show because it doesnt seem to show the rest of the traffic that doesnt match defined class-maps.

paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card