cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendation for gigabit and ipsec router

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

What router would you recommend for the following requirements?

Terminate 2 MM fiber one-gigabit ethernet LAN interfaces

Terminate 1 copper one-gigabit metro ethernet WAN circuit facing network A - neighboring using eigrp

Terminate 1 copper one-gigabit metro ethernet WAN circuit facing network B - neighboring using bgp

---DMVPN HUB on this interface for 20+ sites (aes 256) - running eigrp over the hub

Terminate 1 copper one-gigabit etherate WAN (speed never greater than 45Mbs)

--- DMVPN HUB on this interface for 2 sites (aes 256) - running eigrp over the hub

Presumable it will be an ASR of some flavor but I don't want to over spend our dollars.

Thanks for any input.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is your total WAN speed envisioned?

I expect sustained 500Mbps of data replication type traffic on network A.

I expect not more than 100Mbps of sustained traffic on network B.

Both A and B networks back each other up.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your total aggregate bandwidth is 600 Mbps, you might get by with a 3945E or the new 4451-X might be "just right".

PS:

For interfaces, instead of adding Ethernet interfaces to the router, you might consider Ethernet port expansion via a switch.  (For example a port-channel VLAN trunk between the router and the switch.)

I expect sustained 500Mbps of data replication type traffic on network A.

As what everyone's saying, ASR 1000 can support up to 1 Gbps (per chassis).  Do you plan, in the next 5 years, to upgrade your WAN speed to 1 Gbps each?  If yes, then think about the ASR 1002-X since you can upgrade the appliance's capabilities, Cisco's "pay as you grow" concept.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use an ASR-1002 with SPA-2X1GE-V2 module. The box comes with 4 1Gig SFP ports and the module gives you 2 Copper Gig ports or 2 SFP Gig ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-443175_ps9343_Products_Data_Sheet.html

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card