Views
Helpful
Replies

Recover passwords without losing config

philipcase
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a new client and have taken over a leased line with 2 x 1603 ISDN routers.

We don't know the passwords and would like to recover/replace those without losing any settings. I have found these instructions: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_password_recovery09186a0080093e11.shtml#NetPro but am not clear on whether any config will be lost.

Is it possible to save the config to an external device to make sure ?

Also are there any other passwords I should be aware of ?

Many thanks

PC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip

You won't be telnetting onto the router rather you should be doing this with a console cable connected from a com port on your laptop to the console port on the router.

The password receovery procedure in your doc assumes you have no passwords so it shows you how to bypass all passwords - thats what the bit about hitting the break key and going to ROMMON is all about.

When you do get in and reset the enable password you should also reset the line password (which is used for remote telnet access) eg.

router(config)# line vty 0 4

router(config-line)# password 0

Jon

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Philip

Pay particular attention to step 9 as cut and paste below.

=============================================

Type configure memory or copy startup-config running-config in order to copy the nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM) into memory.

Important: Do not type copy running-config startup-config or write. These commands erase your startup configuration

=============================================

Step 9 is where you could lose your config. Otherwise you will be fine. If you want to you can copy your configuration to tftp server before doing the password recovery but you need to be in enable mode to do this so it's a bit of a catch 22.

Jon

That's great - thanks Jon

No problem, hope it goes okay.

Hi,

I have seen reference to a "Login" password and "Enable" password on ConfigMaker for this router.

However this recovery procedure talks only about the Enable password.

Will I need a Login password so I can telnet through the admin port to follow this password recovery procedure ?

Many thanks

Philip

You won't be telnetting onto the router rather you should be doing this with a console cable connected from a com port on your laptop to the console port on the router.

The password receovery procedure in your doc assumes you have no passwords so it shows you how to bypass all passwords - thats what the bit about hitting the break key and going to ROMMON is all about.

When you do get in and reset the enable password you should also reset the line password (which is used for remote telnet access) eg.

router(config)# line vty 0 4

router(config-line)# password 0

Jon

Hi Jon,

Sorry - I meant what you said - booting the router with the laptop connected using a terminal session via serial cable.

After I reset both passwords will I be able to use ConfigMaker to download the full config ? I need to be able to back it up in case it's ever lost.

Thanks again

Philip

Don't know what ConfigMaker is. You can save the config using a tftp server as previously covered or you can use hyperterminal to capture the screen output and then just do a "sh run".

Jon

Thanks for that Jon.

Do you mind me asking if you can recommend a USB-serial adapter that will work with the Cisco management port ?

I've seen reports that some don't work.

Thank you

Sorry Philip but i have always kept an old laptop with a com port on the back so i don't have to use the USB-serial adapter.

At the last place i worked our engineers experienced problems with them (can't remember which type) so i never bothered moving across to them.

Others should be able to help if you perhaps post a separate question.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I'll try to source a laptop with com port just in case.

Thanks for all of your help on this.

Hi Jon,

I managed to get onsite and downloaded the IOS commands from each router.

I made up a cable and got hold of an old laptop.

There are some elements of the config that aren't very clear to me, relating to IP addresses and bridge commands.

Are you aware of anywhere I could post queries of this nature with edited sections of the IOS listings for feedback ?

Many thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card