Views
Helpful
Replies

redirect web page

petrutz_21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 2801 router. Is there another way to deny access to a specify web site ( like youtube, facebook .. etc ) without create acl's with specifed ip's ? The router doesen't support url filtering. I thought to do something like redirect traffic to another site : for example if one client want to access www.youtube.com that the browser will open www.xxxxx.com. Is this possible ?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

See below a recent discussion on a similar topic.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3602442#3602442

You don't need to know the IP address, you can use NBAR for URL filtering.

If you want to redirect traffic to a different web site then as far as I know you would need to use a proxy server.

Don't forget to rate posts that are helpful.

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Toma,

That is not possible on the router basically because router can only inspect packet header up to L4 layer (checking ports) and not able to check higher packet levels thus it will never see the URL. It can only check the destination ip addrss and do policy routing  moving particular ip to a different ip thus re-routing to a different server - though not sure if server will reply back correctly.

To do it you need set up ip policy-routing route-map on the interface which will match for particular ip addresses and re-route those to a different one. The problem here is you never know which ip user will gett connecting to web-site as there are many ones for s ingle URL.

You need smth like proxy to examin packet on higher level.

Or you can set the host file on individual PC telling nothing to user. In that file you can resolve each URL in question into a particular ip address you want user to be directed.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Thanks.

One more opportunity is to use NBAR as suggested hear by Sean:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3604557#3604557

Nik

HTH,
Niko
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card