Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

redistribute default route using ospf multiarea only in one area

Hi to all,

Is it possible to redistribute a default route using ospf multiarea just in one area??

For example if i have my area 0 for backbone and my area 1 for my locations can I redistribute a default route just to the area 1????

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: redistribute default route using ospf multiarea only in one

Hello Alfonso,

please do the following:

on ABR:

router ospf 10

no default-information originate always

no default-information originate

Some OSPF commands are tricky : if you make a single no the router just denies the always option and you need to give it a second time there is no other explanation for the O E2 default route still in area 0

Hope to help

Giuseppe

11 REPLIES

hi Alfonso,

I'm not sure what you want. If you want all routers in area 1 to get only "default route". You can use "Totally Stub Area" in area 1. ABR will inject only default route to all routers in that area. It does protect LSA type 3 and 5 from being injected to that area.

Toshi

Hi Toshi,

This is the scenario, I have my area 0 for backbone and my area 1 for my locations and what i need is that the routers that are in my area 1 plus knowing all the routes that the ospf process gives them also to have a default route given by ospf too, if i put the command default-information originate always the ospf process redistribute the default route to the area 1 but also to the area 0 and that's not what i need, i need the default route to be redistributed only in my area 1.

Thanks in advance.

Alfonso,

First of all, You are using "default-information originate always" that means no need to have a default route in RIB to advertise a default route. So Redistributing a default route is not needed. Your requirement is to filter LSA Type 5 (default information originate) to inject to area 0. I don't think that area filter-list commands will help you because it should filter LSA Type 3. As I mentioned above that would meet a requirement. But if this is a scenario to accomplish. Frankly I'm waiting for how it works... (grin)

Edit : if the requirements are allowed to use "distrition-list in" commands. I would apply it on all routers in area0 to get rid of a default route. It's not nice anyway!!

Toshi

Hello Alfonso, Toshi

if there aren't LSA type 5 external in the OSPF database a stub area satisfies all the requirements:

it receives all the OSPF routes (if no external routes)

it receives a default route from ABR router

I would consider this option.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

You mean that i should configure my area 0 as a stub area in order to not to get the default route redistributed by the ospf process??? and only the area 1 is going to get it...I'm I right???

Thanks in advance.

Hi Giuseppe,

Sorry, i ment the area 1 to be configure as a stub area.

hello Alfonso,

yes the idea is :

remove the default-information originate

make area 1 a stub area

this makes ABR to automatically injects an O IA default router inside area 1

This is usually an acceptable solution: even if there are filtered external routes the default route allows to reach all prefixes known in the OSPF domain

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I did that, but in my routers where i just have area 0 I'm getting a default route given by my ABR O*E2 0.0.0.0/0 [110/1] via 172.16.1.1, 00:11:19, Serial0/1/0 and also in the routers that are in area 1 I'm having the default route that I want O*IA 0.0.0.0/0 [110/260] via 192.168.1.1, 00:08:35, FastEthernet0/0

But that default route on the area 0 is making me to have problems.

Config on ABR

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

area 1 stub

network 192.168.2.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

network 192.168.3.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

network 192.168.5.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

network 172.16.1.0 0.0.0.3 area 0

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 201.147.155.1

Config on a Location

router ospf 100

log-adjacency-changes

area 1 stub

network 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

network 192.168.4.0 0.0.0.3 area 1

network 192.168.6.0 0.0.0.255 area 1

Thanks in advance

Hi Giuseppe,

Sorry, i ment the area 1 to be configure as a stub area.

Hello Alfonso,

please do the following:

on ABR:

router ospf 10

no default-information originate always

no default-information originate

Some OSPF commands are tricky : if you make a single no the router just denies the always option and you need to give it a second time there is no other explanation for the O E2 default route still in area 0

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I did that and also restart the ospf process and it worked well, now I have the default route just on the area 1.

Thanks alot for your help!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content