cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribute static and floating static into Eigrp

benjaminyu
Level 1
Level 1

I am having trouble to explain what is happening behind this redistribution process in my network.

router A:

router eigrp 1

redistribute static

ip route 10.0.8.1 255.255.255.255 123.87.7.2

router B:

router eigrp 1

redistribute static

ip route 10.0.8.1 255.255.255.255 123.87.155.1 200

After the redistributions on these 2 routers. The topology table of all routers in the network only shows the redistributed route from router A which I am not sure why. I do know that the static route redistributed on router B is a floating static which has AD 200.

Is the eigrp topology table on other routers supposed to show both routes?

I am based on these assumptions:

1. The AD on the static has no effect on the redistribution process. The AD is locally significant to the router itself.

2. I did not specify metric on both redistribution command.

3. Both routes should have same external eigrp AD which is 170 after the redistribution process and they should both put onto the topology table on other routers.

Appreciated if someone can explain the exact process behind these redistribution process.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Benjamin

What is happening is that router A redistributes it's static route into EIGRP with an AD of 170.

Router B then receives this route with an AD of 170. It's own static route has an AD of 200 so it will not install it's own static route into the routing table but instead will use the static route received from router A.

So because it doesn't use it's own static route this route never gets redistributed into EIGRP on router B. Only if router A goes down or stops advertising it's static route will the one on B be used.

Jon

Can I put your explanation this way?

A router will not redistribute a route if it does not exsist within its routing table (topology table in eigrp case?).

Thanks.

Benjamin

You are correct that a router will not redistribute a route into a dynamic routing protocol (like EIGRP) if that route does not appear in its own routing table (and it must be in the routing table, just being in the topology table is not enough).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Benjamin

"Can I put your explanation this way?

A router will not redistribute a route if it does not exsist within its routing table (topology table in eigrp case?)."

Correct in that the router can only redistribute routes that are in the routing table.

But it has to be the routing table ie. the output of "sh ip route". The EIGRP topology table is not the routing table.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card