Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing Default route into EIGRP from OSPF

srowles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

A quick question re the redistribution of a default route into EIGRP from OSPF.

If I am redistributing OSPF into EIGRP and a default route is generated and propogated by an OSPF router, will EIGRP automatically receive and propogate this default route throughout the EIGRP AS.

If the above is true I assume that I can block the redistribution of the default route into EIGRP using the following route map:

Route-map INTO-EIGRP-MAP deny 10

Match ip address INTO-EIGRP-LIST

Route-map INTO-EIGRP-MAP permit 20

Ip access-list standard INTO-EIGRP-LIST

Permit 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Unfortunately I am not in a position where I can test this so I´m trying to confirm the functionality before I implement the redistribution on our live network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, the route generated in the ospf domain would be redistributed in EIGRP by default.

Yes, the above route-map will block the redistribution of the default route into EIGRP.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, the route generated in the ospf domain would be redistributed in EIGRP by default.

Yes, the above route-map will block the redistribution of the default route into EIGRP.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Yes that does help alot. Thanks for the confirmation.

Can we also use the distribute list inward to prevent default route being redistributed into EIGRP?

I believe that using a distribute list inward under the OSPF process would also prevent the default route being redistributed into EIFRP as the distribute list would prevent the route from being added to the route table of the router in question and as routes are redistributed from the routing table, this should work.

Tha distribute list under the OSPF process would not however prevent the route from being passed to other OSPF routers as a dstribute list does not affect the flooding of LSAs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card