Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Redistribution problem (2 networks)

Dear sirs

I have one problem which I can not think a way how to solve it. As you can see from the diagram I have 2 networks . One of the network is running RIP version 1 and the other EIGRP. I want to connect the Switch A to Switch B so both networks can communicate.

Until today I connected Router A to Switch B and I configured redistribution between those 2 protocols on both devices and it was working fine. Now I want to include also Switch A in the network . My problem is that if I connect Switch A to Switch B , Switch A is Layer 2 and I can not configure redistribution on it. Of course Switch B is 4500 series and it’s running Full EIGRP on it.

If I connect the 2 switches what shall i do so all the routes from both networks can be exchanged ?

Thanks a lot

Moses

29 Jan 2010

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Redistribution problem (2 networks)

moses12315 wrote:

Yes Jon, i am sorry it was quite confused. What i meant is that i connected at the past (3 days)

ago the L3 Switch (Switch B) with the Router 1 and after i did redistribution it worked.(Router 1---> Switch B---> Router 2).

The problem is that i want to connect Switch A in the network (Router 1 --> Switch A ---> Switch B---> Router B).(Don't forget Switch A is a 2950 Switch L2)

As i understood you told me to do this connection and the routes from Rip and Eigrp will be exchanged. Am i right?

I will try it on Monday and i will informed you .

Thanks a lot anyway

Moses

Moses

No problem.

Yes it will work fine as long as you use the same vlan on both ports on Switch A your routing and redistribution will not be affected.

Jon

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

moses12315 wrote:

Dear sirs

I have one problem which I can not think a way how to solve it. As you can see from the diagram I have 2 networks . One of the network is running RIP version 1 and the other EIGRP. I want to connect the Switch A to Switch B so both networks can communicate.

Until today I connected Router A to Switch B and I configured redistribution between those 2 protocols on both devices and it was working fine. Now I want to include also Switch A in the network . My problem is that if I connect Switch A to Switch B , Switch A is Layer 2 and I can not configure redistribution on it. Of course Switch B is 4500 series and it’s running Full EIGRP on it.

If I connect the 2 switches what shall i do so all the routes from both networks can be exchanged ?

Thanks a lot

Moses

29 Jan 2010

Moses

It's not clear what you mean by -

Until today I connected Router A to Switch B and I configured redistribution between those 2 protocols on both devices and it was working fine.

Is router A the one running RIP ?

If so then you can simply add the L2 switch in between and this will not affect any L3 route redistribution. Simply connect Switch B to a port on Switch A and connect router A to another port on Switch A and make sure the ports are in the same vlan and it will all work.

If router A is not the one running RIP could you clarify.

Jon

Yes Jon, i am sorry it was quite confused. What i meant is that i connected at the past (3 days)

ago the L3 Switch (Switch B) with the Router 1 and after i did redistribution it worked.(Router 1---> Switch B---> Router 2).

The problem is that i want to connect Switch A in the network (Router 1 --> Switch A ---> Switch B---> Router B).(Don't forget Switch A is a 2950 Switch L2)

As i understood you told me to do this connection and the routes from Rip and Eigrp will be exchanged. Am i right?

Thanks a lot anyway

Moses

Hall of Fame Super Blue

moses12315 wrote:

Thanks a lot anyway

Moses

Moses

No problem.

Yes it will work fine as long as you use the same vlan on both ports on Switch A your routing and redistribution will not be affected.

Jon

Dear Jon,

You were right one more time. I did as you told me and it works fine.

Thanks a lot for your help. Even though i do not understand the theory behind all this , at long as it works i am happy.

Thanks again for your help .

Moses

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content