Views
Helpful
Replies

Reducing routing table for EIGRP spoke

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

We have a remote EIGRP spoke office with a massive routing table, but the routes all go to the same IP, I guess I can add a default route and remove the EIGRP, but is there a way to reduce the size of the routing table like in OSPF total stub areas?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

Under the interface on the hub that connects to the remote office, set a summary route to send all 0s.

ip summary-address eigrp 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Or you can put whatever summary routes you want using the same command. We use summary networks between sites and regions.

Hi,

additionally, you could also use the EIGRP stub feature.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/eigrpstb.html

Best regards,

Milan

I agree with Milan that EIGRP stub is a useful feature for the spoke routers in traditional hub and spoke networks. But its advantage is in reducing the query activity. It does not reduce the size of the routing table which was the original question.

I have done several hub and spoke networks and find that the ip summary route configured at the hub pointing toward the stubs is quite effective.

I believe that the optimum solution in hub and spoke networks is to use both summary address on the hub and EIGRP stub on the spoke routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card