Views
Helpful
Replies

redundant internet - fail over santiy check

gwhynott
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times,  but I thought there may be newer options..

I am putting a list of parts and licenses we'll need to build a more redundant internet connection.  Currently we own:

1x ASR 1004 (edge)

2x ASA 5580-20 (fw)

1x 6509e  (core)

2 ISPs.

I think we'll need to order a few switches.  in the near future we'll have 10Gbit connections to the ISPs,  meaning i'll want a switch that is 10Gbit ready today.

internetoi.png

my questions:

is this the way we would connect things up?

do i need any licenses beyond what ships with the hardware?

which switch would you recommend?

any other general advise would be great,  thanks.

take care,

greg

5 Replies 5

Hi Gregory

in the near future we'll have 10Gbit connections to the ISPs,

The above 10G connection with SP , I won't understand. ( 10 G  WAN link )

is this the way we would connect things up?

==>Please refer the diag.

do i need any licenses beyond what ships with the hardware?

==> No, But if you need SSL VPN then you need to buy licenses.

which switch would you recommend?

==> 3750G For 10 Gig

If you have plan to deploy 10 Gig , Then please check the ASA 5540 & ASR ( You requried additional interface card )

http://cisco.biz/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/product_data_sheet0900aecd802930c5.html

You had mention that currently  you have

1x ASR 1004 (edge)

2x ASA 5580-20 (fw)

1x 6509e  (core)

2 ISPs.

But in you diag there are two edge devices.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

hello Chetan,

the current port speed to both ISPs is 1Gbit.   We'll be upgrading to 10Gbit at some point in the future.

the diagram shows two edge routers just to show you how I thought things might be connected.   we do not own everything yet.

I understand the ASR and ASA will both require 10Gbit interfaces,  thanks.

in your picture,  the configuration on the right,  it appears as if there is only one path per router from the switch.  was this an accident or is that how it should be connected?  if you were to lose one of the routers,  you would also lose a path to one of the ISPs.

The idea is we could lose any 1 device between the 6500 and the ISP and still have a path to both ISPs.

thanks for the info on the 3750-10G Chetan.

Hi

I forgot to draw two cables between switch & router. It was accident please make correction.

And as you mention you are upgrading 1 gig to 10 Gigi wan interface , But really you requried ( I don't think so ) .

Please refer the new diag

The red line show the traffic flow & other side will be standby ( Switch, router, ASA will be in standby ) . And vice versa for failover, Entire traffic will shift to other side.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Thanks for clearing that.

"... you are upgrading 1 gig to 10 Gigi wan interface , But really you requried ( I don't think so ) ."

you don't think my organization requires 10Gbit...    Are you familiar with what we do?  

thanks for your help again,

greg

Hi

It is up to you weather you want to upgrade 1 gig to 10 gig. If your company requried then definetly you can go, Its completely your choice.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card