cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Install Services and Cisco 3524XL

shane.shelton
Level 1
Level 1

We have several floors at our headquarters and we are currently trying to RIS image desktop on 8 from a server that is on 10. The problem is, the desktop are not getting a DHCP address from the RIS server on 10. The floors are connected via fiber cable going through Cisco 3524XL's. Can someone please give me the command(s) on how to open port 4011 and forward broadcast traffic to the client computer from the RIS server so they can receive an address? Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

DHCP requests are broadcast and broadcasts are forwarded by the router. But we can make exceptions, do you have ip helper-address under the layer 3 interface or router interface where the clients are not able get an ip address? BTW, DHCP are UDP ports 67 and 68. Not usre what the RIS server will be broadcasting at port 4011. If the issue is the clients not able to get an ip address from DHCP server, then you need to check if ip helper-address is configured under the desktop's default-gateway, this should be the router.

More information on ip helper-address or DHCP relay agent:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804412bf.html#wp1085182

Please rate all posts.

I had the RIS server's IP address set as the helper-address on the interface vlan1. That didn't fix the problem though. Do I need to add is somewhere else? Here is what I did so far (didn't fix it though).

interface vlan1 (this particular switch only has 1 vlan)

ip helper-address server's address

Are the clients not able to get an IP address in vlan 1? have you tried enabling portfast on clients port? Do client in the same vlan as the RIS server having the same issue?

I figure it out. I didn't have no spanning-tree vlan 1 set on the switch. I set it and it works fine now. Thank you for your help, have a great day!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card