Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Remote Site Routing

The hospital that I work for recently acquired an off site clinic. We have since routed the clinic's internet traffic through our network via a Metro-E connection. The problem that I am running into is that the internet traffic for the clinic is very slow now when on their Domain and using their DNS server, but within the clinic you can add a pc to the hospital's domain using our main dns server, and internet speed is fast (just as if you were here at the main hospital).

This is how pc's on the clinic's domain are routed....

Clinic domain pc - Clinic DNS server - Cisco 1841 router - Metro-E fiber connection to main hospital - hospital core switch - Barracuda device - Cisco ASA - internet

I have never setup a network like this, and had to get help setting this one up. So it is very likely that traffic from their domain and dns server is routed incorrectly, I just don't know what?

Thanks for the help,

Justin

9 REPLIES
Silver

Remote Site Routing

Hi Justin - can you just clarify what you mean about the DNS server? You have said that traffic at the clinic site is routed via the clinic DNS server - is this correct? Or do you mean that if you are at the clinic you are getting DNS name resolution via a DNS server at the clinic? All DNS does is resolved FQDN addresses to IP addresses - it is not intrinsic in route path selection.

Remote Site Routing

Sorry, let me clarify a little.

When at the clinic, the pc's joined to their domain (in which case have to use the clinic dns server to become part of the domain), internet traffic is very slow.

Also, while at the clinic site, you can setup a pc to be on the hospital domain/ using the hospital dns server and internet speed is normal.

So with both scenarios, the traffic is going over the metro-e connection and out through the hospital. The only difference is the dns server and domains.

Does that help?

Silver

Remote Site Routing

Hmm not really

I don't see what difference the DNS server would make - as I said all this does is resolve IP addresses. I guess a good test would be to join a PC to the clinic domain and ping an internet address (say 8.8.8.8) and then do the same from a PC in the hospital domain. This removes DNS from the equation. If you do this and the response times are broadly the same (maybe a little higher for the clinic PC as it has to traverse the metro connection) then the problem is not a router one. Could this perceived slowness be because the DNS in the clinic can't resolve names to IP addresses any more so it tries to do so, times out and then tries another DNS server (i.e. the hospital one)? Again, this does not really have anything to do with network speeds, just the initial FQDN to IP address process - hence the suggestion to try pinging to an internet IP address thereby bypassing DNS.

Remote Site Routing

Yep, ping times were pretty much identical.

Silver

Remote Site Routing

OK, that tells us something. What about if you download a file from a public FTP server and compare the speeds? Do that, capture the output and also capture the output of ipconfig from the PC when attached to both networks.

Remote Site Routing

I just ran a speed test.

From the clinic/ on the clinic domain:

Ping: 19 ms

Download: 19.93 Mbps

Upload: 3.4 Mbps

From the clinic/ on the hospital domain:

Ping: 11ms

Download: 27.65 Mbps

Upload: 21.88 Mbps

Remote Site Routing

Hi,

Its just the speed (download/upload) or opening/loading pages via webbrowser as well? If it is with the webbrowser, I would check the clinic DNS servers root servers list and check the Barracuda device, if it needs any bypass with those IPs.

Thx

MS

Remote Site Routing

If this helps, the speed of the actual network connection (ie: if from a clinic domain pc, I download or run a program from the hospital domain) the speed seems fine. It's only when the traffic goes out to the internet. And for some oddball reason google.com loads fine without any problem, every other website I have tested is very slow or nonresponsive.

Remote Site Routing

Perhaps google.com is cached? Assuming all neecessary routing in place wiht packets taking corect path, I suggest you check on Barracuda for any addl config ncessary for the clinic DNS servers.

Thx

MS

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content