Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Remotly upgrade Cisco 1721 IOS

I there a way to upgrade IOS remotly through telnet and reboot the router automatically with old IOS in case of problem.

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES

Re: Remotly upgrade Cisco 1721 IOS

Yes.. indeed. The Autoinstall feature can let you do the same thing.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/ffun_c/ffcprt1/fcf002.htm

However I wouldn't prefer that way unless I have tested everything in advance before.

What I shall recommend, is that to connect a PC with hyperterminal and then use Remote Control that PC using any Internet based tools e.g. even MSN Messenger would allow that and do the stuff, coz if there is only one router to the site and if that becomes inaccessible then its all gone case.

Moreover to make the things easier, I shall recommend that you ensure that there is enough space in the flash for both the IOS or else the later would delete the former and you need to re-install the IOS.

Secondly if there is enough space you can specfiy which IOS to load by specifying through the commands.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

PS: Please rate if it helps

Thanks for your quick reply.

Concerning the old IOS, is it erased during the process or kept in flash?

Best Regards.

J?r?me Soto

Hi

If you have enough free space to accommodate the new ios then you dont need to erase the old ios otherwise it will automatically give the option of erasing the old ios and saving the new one.

regds

How can I specify the IOS to load at startup?

Thanks

Hi

You can mention the preferred ios code by defining the same under the boot system command in the global config.

boot system flash:newioscodefile

once you are done with the same save the config and reboot the router so that it can boot up with the new ios code.

regds

Hi

Its better to have a person there in the site to do the basic activity if in case the router gets onto rommon mode.

Better complete the ground work properly there in the remote site by taking the IOS code and config files backed up.

so that if something goes in middle and if you loose the connectivity you can restore the old ios file.

also before upgrading the new ios file do check up the hardware requirements like DRAM and Flash required for the new ios code so that you can avoid the unexpected downtime.

regds

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content