Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace Netscreen 5GT with a Cisco 1841 router

anisha.vi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

AT one of our locations we are currently using a Netscreen 5GT as a router, now we want to replace that with a Cisco 1841 router. Can someone tell me where do i start with the configuration part. I am not familiar with Netscreens at all. How do i configure the new Cisco 1841 with config that i got from the Netscreen. This needs to bedone immediately, and I do not understand where to start with. I got curent config that is running on the Netscreen, but I am not sure how do I put the same config on Cisco router. I don't know hich command in Netscreen config refers to what in Cisco configuration. Can someone please help me with this.

Thanks & Regards,

Anisha.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

anisha.vi wrote:

Hello all,

AT one of our locations we are currently using a Netscreen 5GT as a router, now we want to replace that with a Cisco 1841 router. Can someone tell me where do i start with the configuration part. I am not familiar with Netscreens at all. How do i configure the new Cisco 1841 with config that i got from the Netscreen. This needs to bedone immediately, and I do not understand where to start with. I got curent config that is running on the Netscreen, but I am not sure how do I put the same config on Cisco router. I don't know hich command in Netscreen config refers to what in Cisco configuration. Can someone please help me with this.

Thanks & Regards,

Anisha.

Hi Anisha,

You can not take the config from the Juniper Firewall and put it in a Cisco router.  Juniper firewalls use ScreenOS but Cisco routers use IOS.  (2 different animals).  I do not know your design but remember the functions are different.  You should not be replacing a firewall with a router.

HTH

Reza

yes yes yes, this is correct, if anything you should be leaving the firewall in place and configing the router
on the inside of the firewall to handle internetwork routing. You can config the netscreen to allow internetwork trafficking via the router, but as I've never used that particular beast I couldn't begin to tell you how to make that configuration. Maybe others can better describe it.

Norman

Thanks guys. But the thing is we want to throwaway this Netscreen 5GT and use Cisco 1841

at all the remote locations. Please suggest me a way to do this.

The company already bought cisco 1841.

Anisha,

I would not  throwaway  the firewall.   Juniper firewall are very good devices.  You can just ass the router to your design and still keep the firewall

HTH

Reza

Reza,

Right now the Netscreen is providing the routing for the remote location, so do I need to make any config chnages for netscreen in order to make it act just like a firewall, and place a cisco 1841 for routing. Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards,

Anisha.

Hi Anisha,

I have some experience with netscreen 5GT and I believe you need to take a closer look to the netscreen configuration, either login to the GUI (if it is enabled) or by console.  If you really want to take the netscreen out of the picture, make sure the cisco 1841 router supports your configuration because you will have to mock the configuration. However, as recommended before, netscreen 5GT is a nice device to have for firewall services.  I think all comes down to what are your requirements.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco