Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Replacing ATM frame with MPLS for educational facilities

I currently have an ATM frame in place with 2 hub locations where my frame PVC all come back to for corporate apps and Internet. I want to implement MPLS and am nervous about the any to any when a virus were to spread from one remote site to another while not infecting a hub site and go undetected.

Cisco's proposal is to ASA at the hub sites all remote traffic and remove the any to any theory of MPLS with routing to a hub site.

How will this impact performance, routing, VoIP or any future network plans?

I don't want unecessary traffic to the hub sites if I don't have to, but I want it a secure as possible.

1 REPLY

Re: Replacing ATM frame with MPLS for educational facilities

I can understand your concerns about the security aspects of the any-to-any aspect of mpls. However, the ability to offload external traffic from your core to your ISp's is worth considering. Also you could deploy desktop solutions such as ISS (IDS/IPS) and a more resilient virus scanner to combat the security concerns. In the current hub-and-spoke topology your discovery of the new virus may happen when it takes your hub site down.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content