Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP and SLA...need Help....

hi all,

At the moment I have configured back up links for my branch routers using 3G technology. Im running static routing protocol in my branch routers. My configuration look like this.

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 172.X.X.X source-interface FastEthernet0/0

frequency 10

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

ip route 10..X.X.X  255.255.0.0  fa 0/1  track 1      (Main Link)

ip route 172.X.X.X 255.255.0.0  fa 0/1  track 1     (Main Link)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Null0   track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Cellular0/0/0 10              (Backup Link)

I checked the reachability to next hop it fails back up link become active. Now I want to run RIPv2 routing protocol instead of static routes in my branch routers.

How can I implement the above mentioned scenario using RIP routing protocol.

your responses are highly

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps there is something in your question that I am not understanding. But it seems fairly simple to me. Your current configuration is using IP SLA to detect when there is a change in reachability in the outside network and then to remove the static routes. If you are running RIP then the dynamic routing protocol will discover and learn the routes and will react if there is some event in the outside network that makes the destination unreachable then RIP will withdraw the routes from the routing table. If the dynamically learned routes are withdrawn then the floating static route could be used.

So as I see it to use RIP you would remove the two primary static routes (since these destinations should be learned by RIP) and you need to change the Administrative Distance in the float static route to something larger than 120 (which is the AD of RIP). So it might look something like this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Cellular0/0/0 250

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps there is something in your question that I am not understanding. But it seems fairly simple to me. Your current configuration is using IP SLA to detect when there is a change in reachability in the outside network and then to remove the static routes. If you are running RIP then the dynamic routing protocol will discover and learn the routes and will react if there is some event in the outside network that makes the destination unreachable then RIP will withdraw the routes from the routing table. If the dynamically learned routes are withdrawn then the floating static route could be used.

So as I see it to use RIP you would remove the two primary static routes (since these destinations should be learned by RIP) and you need to change the Administrative Distance in the float static route to something larger than 120 (which is the AD of RIP). So it might look something like this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Cellular0/0/0 250

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: