Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RIP classful routing protocol

Hi ........

i want to know what we means about classful routing protocol

i have completed my virtual lab with different subnets length and worked....

so .... how we say classful routing

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: RIP classful routing protocol

ibrahim

The classful routing protocols make certain assumptions about networks and have certain behaviors. These include:

- the classful routing protocols support FLSM (Fixed Length Subnet Masking) and do not support VLSM (Variable Length Subnet Masking).

- they believe that any network can be subnetted but within a given network all subnets will be the same size. This results in a behavior that an interface will advertise subnets of its network that have the same subnet mask as the interface but will not advertise subnets of that network with a different subnet mask. it also leads to the behavior that the routing update does not contain subnet mask information.

- they believe that networks are contiguous and that you should be able to get from one subnet of the network to any other subnet of that network without going outside the network. This leads to the behavior that they always automatically summarize at network boundaries.

HTH

Rick

Re: RIP classful routing protocol

Hi Ibrahim,

Beside the nice explaination that Rick has provided, please check this document, its a nice one explaining how Classful routing protocols (RIP / IGRP) sends and receives updates:

Behavior of RIP and IGRP When Sending and Receiving Updates

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093fd8.shtml

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content