Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP question about publishing networks

I am studying for my CCNA and I'm running across a question that asks you to publish all networks on a router using RIP. When I answered it, I thought you just need to add the "local" attached networks.

The answers says that normally that would be enough but you've been specifically asked to publish all networks.

When would you need to publish all networks?

The graphic has 3 routers connected. 1 connects to 2 and 2 connects to 3.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gilbert

Perhaps we have a syntax or semantics issue. What do they mean by publish all networks?

As far as the functionality of RIP is concerned there is no benefit in configuring network statements for networks that are not locally attached. It is sometimes not well understood but the network command in RIP does not advertise anything, it only tells RIP which interfaces to examine in determining what to advertise.

I can think of a couple of things that they might be intending to cover when instructing to publish all networks:

- are any network destinations configured with static routes? If so you may need to redistribute static?

- do any of the routers run a protocol other than RIP? If so you may need to redistribute routes between the protocols.

- is it possible that some of the routers have different subnet masks for interfaces in the same major network? That is a challenge for RIP but I would think it would be beyond the scope of CCNA.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card