Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RIP redistribution into OSPF

All,

I've attached a diagram for something that I ran into this morning. I have 2 ospf areas, one of which is an nssa, and I have a RIP router behind the nssa. I noticed that the same route that RouterB seen as an N2 route, RouterA sees as an E2 route. Is this because the ASBR is converting Type-7 LSA into a Type-5, and then RouterA is receiving the Type-5 LSA marking it as an external route, but not necessarily known that it came from an NSSA?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: RIP redistribution into OSPF

To reiterate, Router A is not part of the NSSA so it will receive external routes as E1 or E2.

Router C is part of the NSSA (Area 1), so any external routes from a ASBR on that area (on this case router B) will be seen as N1 or N2.

HTH,

__

Edison.

4 REPLIES

John,

I don't see any diagram but if Router A is receiving this LSA via a regular area, it will see any external route as E2 instead of N2.

N2 LSAs will only be seen within the NSSA area.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Ugh...forgot to attach the diagram.

Is RouterB seeing the external route as N2 because it's configured with area 1 as the nssa?

Thanks!

John

To reiterate, Router A is not part of the NSSA so it will receive external routes as E1 or E2.

Router C is part of the NSSA (Area 1), so any external routes from a ASBR on that area (on this case router B) will be seen as N1 or N2.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks! =)

John

Views
Helpful
Replies