cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

i know that rip do load balances (4 by default) and it is configurable to 6 equal paths......so it means that if i want that my one serial link goes downn it shd automatially switch over to other then the path shd b same hopcount??? the AD of rip is 120 how we can change it and in which secnerio we change its AD....and whats the command set for my first question how we configure load balance?? thanks a million in advance

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Its usually not recommended to change admin distance. Here is a link how you change it.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/admin_distance.html

If hop count is same, all four routes are installed in routing table. You will see the same route with 4 hops. If one route (interface) fails, it will show the remaining 3 hops. The loadbalancing algorithm used will be depending up on the type of switching configured on the outgoing interface for that particular route. By default most Cisco routers have either fast switching or CEF enabled, which causes packets to be load balanced per-destination. Hence you may see that all 4 routes installed in the routing table will be used for each destination ip address (fast switching) or each source-destination pair (CEF).

You can change the default behaviour to per-packet load balancing by disabling fast switching on the interface (no ip route-cache) but its not recommended. In case of CEF you may use "ip load-sharing per-packet" on each interface to enable per-packet load balancing. This type of LB is not usually recommended if the network is running VOIP. It can cause out-of-order packet delivery.

HTH

PS: Please remember to rate helpful posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card