Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPv1 and CIDR

jaimedrq1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

Could somebody help me with this subject?

I have two routers, one with RIPv1 and the other with RIPv2. In the RIPv2 router I have a static route 172.16.0.0/12 redistributed within RIPv2.

When the RIPv1 router receive this route, it learn it correctly. In the route table of RIPv1 router appears the route 172.16.0.0/12. How is it possible, when RIPv1 don't see the mask of the routing updates?

Thank you in advance.

Jaime.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jaime

Would you post the interface configuration of the router running RIPv1? In particular we would like to see if the interface of the router is configured with an address in 172.16 and with a /12 mask.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

If you will allow me Jaime, I put a link where you can see the topology and the show ip route....    http://www.4shared.com/folder/sUauR-mP/_online.html

El mensaje fue editado por: Raul Martinez Lara

it's corect - RIPv1 is not CIDR -aware, it doesn't send a subnet  mask in the updates, but 172.16.0.0/12 is a correct "class-full" network with correct mask, and RIPv1 simply use this information and put thia subnet "correctly" into routing table. 

If you would redistribute something like 172.16.10.0/24, I'm pretty sure you will see in RIPv1 the same 172.16.0.0/12 network.

¿Are you sure that network 172.16.0.0/12 is a "class-full" network with correct mask?The class-full masks are /8,/16 and/24....¿Do you agree?

Raul.

sorry, your're right I've mixed the subnet mask for the Private range  172.16.0.0/12 with a B-class mask, sorry, sorry. forget it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card