Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Ripv2 convergion improvement

Hello,

I started to work in a network where there are a lot of cisco 861 and the routing protocol its Ripv2.

We are having a big problem with the time convergion because we use 2 internet network providers that usually have problems and waiting 90 seconds its too much.

So, the cisco 861 seems to support eigrp but the IOS doesnt have the command.

Static routing isnt a solution either because the network its too big (aprox 1000 cisco 861..)

So im looking for a solution to use (if there is any chance another routing protocol but i dont think that the 861 supports other than rip) to improve the convergency time with service providers.

thanks for your time

Regards

Carlos,

Everyone's tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: Ripv2 convergion improvement

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What specific IOS are you using?  In particular, what feature set?  (Sometimes the IGPs are dependent on the IOS and/or feature set.)

Regarding RIP convergence, you can improve convergence time by tuning the timers, but with 1K nodes, you'll need to be careful.  I assume since you mention 90 seconds convergence, you've already changed the defaults.

Thanks Joseph for your response.

the IOS is:

Cisco IOS Software, C860 Software (C860-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T2

c860-universalk9-mz.124-24.T2.bin

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(15r)XZ5

Tunning the timers in rip isnt the best solution since its still slow

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I just checked the feature navigator, and didn't find other than RIP for the 860s.

If you're stuck with RIP, then to improve convergence time, not much else you might do beyond tuning the timers.

Thanks Joseph, im gonna keep trying, if anyone knows other solution for routing please let me know

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content