cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPV2 Unicast issue

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys suppose two routers are connected to each other via ethernet router A and B....router A is conned to wan via dedeicated link....now if i want to deisable rip updates on all possible interfaces except ethernet (which is connected to router B is to config follwoing commands (plz correct me if i am wrong)

router rip

version 2

network 192.168.1.1

no passive interface default

neigbour 192.168.1.16 (ethernet add of router B)

now guys question is that it will send unicast.....now will it send all the routes to router B or not???? what if i put the command instead of neibour 192.168.1.1.....no passive interface ethernet 0 (router A)

whats the difference i cant get my head around.....second scenario is if i want to block all the routes been advertise from router A to B....whast is the best choice distribute list on out on ethernet???? thanks for looking and i hope i will get the prompt response as usual.....thanks again

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Khan,

to achieve what you want you can:

router rip

version 2

network 192.168.1.0

passive-interface default

no passive-interface eth0

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

router rip

no passive interface default

you need to change the above to "passive interface default"

then do as Guiseppe suggested or leave your neigbor command in.

With the neighbor command updates are unicast rather than multicast. If you use "no passive interface ethernet 0" the updates will be sent as multicast - 224.0.0.9.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card