Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RJ-45-to-DB-25 Adapter

As cisco says that: "RJ-45-to-DB-25 Adapter connects a router to PC through a serial port".

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/14.html

If I want to use this cable, what com number should I use for the female 25 pins port on PC ? Because i tried com2 and com3 it did not work.

2 REPLIES
Green

Re: RJ-45-to-DB-25 Adapter

The 25 pin port on most PCs is a Parallel port to connect a printer.

You cannot use the 25pin port on a PC to communicate serially to any device.

The 25pin adapter is usually to connect to some older Cisco Supervisor cards (Cat5K/5500, 6500 ...).

Usually you'd connect to the PC with a 9pin adapter, through the blue or black rolled cable into the Cisco device.

Over the years, Cisco has used a number of interfaces, some of which were 25 pin, most were RJ45, maybe even a few 9 pin connectors.

Good Luck

Scott

Re: RJ-45-to-DB-25 Adapter

Thanks Scott

I have just realized, that I should not have submitted this thread, because as you said that the port with 25 pins in our today PCs are parallel port not serial (Here I have confused).

But one more thing, the serial ports for an old PCs (as far as I remember) were 25 pins male (not femal),,,,Am I right ? If so why then has the cisco cable (equiped with router) got 25 pins male !!!!

Note: See the figure in the link above, it shows us 25 pins femal (it should be) not male (it should not be).

Views
Helpful
Replies