cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rommon versions for older routers

jamesmac42
Level 1
Level 1

I'm putting together a lab to start on my CCNA and I've got two 3640s and two 2620s. I want to upgrade all of the units before I start on the CCNA and I'm having trouble working out what the final rommon version is for each of the routers.

My 3640's are on version "Version 11.1(20)AA2". Is this the final release ?

One of my 2620's is on "Version 12.2(10r)1" and the other is on "Version 12.2(6r)". Is "10r" the final release for the 2620 ?

I've also seen a few sites mention that either version "8r" or "3r" of the 2620 rommon adds support for 32MB flash SIMMs. Is that correct ?

Is there a document that describes the differences between the different releases ? I've searched the net and cisco.com and I can't find anything.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello James,

My suggestion is not to worry too much about the ROMMON version. The ROMMON is only a basic bootloader code that is responsible for booting the IOS placed in your FLASH. After that, it is not much relevant anymore, and certainly it does not influence what your IOS can do and what features does it have. It's like being concerned about the version of LILO or GRUB on your PC when you're running the bleeding edge version of Windows7 and Ubuntu with all updates - it does not really matter

What's more serious, though, is that to my best knowledge, the ROMMON on 2620 routers is not upgradable by software upload. It can only be upgraded by replacing a ROM hardware module on the router's mainboard.

I know this post is not really helpful but at least I would like you to know the perspective - only in rare cases the ROMMON upgrade is really necessary. Do you feel you are in such situation?

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

What's more serious, though, is that to my best knowledge, the ROMMON on 2620 routers is not upgradable by software upload. It can only be upgraded by replacing a ROM hardware module on the router's mainboard.

This is correct.  ROMmon for the older 2600 (except the 2690) and the 3600 is a hardware chip.  Ain't any relevance to your CCNA or CCNP studies.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello James,

My suggestion is not to worry too much about the ROMMON version. The ROMMON is only a basic bootloader code that is responsible for booting the IOS placed in your FLASH. After that, it is not much relevant anymore, and certainly it does not influence what your IOS can do and what features does it have. It's like being concerned about the version of LILO or GRUB on your PC when you're running the bleeding edge version of Windows7 and Ubuntu with all updates - it does not really matter

I know this post is not really helpful but at least I would like you to know the perspective - only in rare cases the ROMMON upgrade is really necessary. Do you feel you are in such situation?

Best regards,

Peter

This is correct.  ROMmon for the older 2600 (except the 2690) and the 3600 is a hardware chip.  Ain't any relevance to your CCNA or CCNP studies.

jamesmac42
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply Peter and leolaohoo and sorry for the very late repsonse, but my notifications aren't working

The extra memory arrived and is working on both 10r and 6r, so it must be an earlier firmware version that doesn't support 32MB flash SIMMs. Your also correct that ROMMON can only be updated by chip on both routers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card