Views
Helpful
Replies

Route-map definition

cocofuc_88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

i would like to know more clearly about route-map, what exactly route-map is? i have rad article that explain about that, but still didnt undestand, hopefully i could find a better explaination from this forum

thanks for all replay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Route map in brief is used as matching or filtering object that can be used either in routing such route redistribution or as conditional policy routing in policy based routing also know as PBR

Route map can use different attributes and conditions to select the derided type of traffic or route then to perform an action such as, allow, deny, add cost or metric to a route, change a bgp attribute for the matched route to influence route selection for example

Things that most popular  used  to match traffic or route are ACL, prefix lists, ip precedence marking

Also it can use multiple matching criteria such as traffic that match source and destination in ACL x and has ip precedence value of y

Route maps are much like the "If . . . Then . . ." statements of many programming languages. If a certain condition is true, then do something. Route maps enable you to define routing policy that will be considered before the router examines its forwarding table; therefore, you can define routing policy that takes precedence over the different route processes. This is why route maps are some of the most powerful commands you can use on a router.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=102092

Hope this help

If helpful rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Route map in brief is used as matching or filtering object that can be used either in routing such route redistribution or as conditional policy routing in policy based routing also know as PBR

Route map can use different attributes and conditions to select the derided type of traffic or route then to perform an action such as, allow, deny, add cost or metric to a route, change a bgp attribute for the matched route to influence route selection for example

Things that most popular  used  to match traffic or route are ACL, prefix lists, ip precedence marking

Also it can use multiple matching criteria such as traffic that match source and destination in ACL x and has ip precedence value of y

Route maps are much like the "If . . . Then . . ." statements of many programming languages. If a certain condition is true, then do something. Route maps enable you to define routing policy that will be considered before the router examines its forwarding table; therefore, you can define routing policy that takes precedence over the different route processes. This is why route maps are some of the most powerful commands you can use on a router.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=102092

Hope this help

If helpful rate

cocofuc_88
Level 1
Level 1

if i talking about route-map configuration could i used route-map configuration without define any ACL ? and i found some route-map configuration like following :

route-map ospf-to-eigrp deny 10
 match tag 6
 match route-type external type-2

i cound find out the meaning of "match tag 6" and "match route-type external type-2". could you give me assistance to understand it ?

By the way thanks for your answer about route-map definition, its realy help me ^^

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card