cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

route-map for two routes

CSCO11638397
Level 1
Level 1

The LAN is connecting to Router A, A and Router B are connected to directly, Router C is connected through a Switch.

IP route is in placed on Router A pointing to Router B for all the internet traffic.

IP ROUTE 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP 1

We need to forward all the SMPT traffic to Router C, I create router map to filter the access list capture SMPT and assign them to next hop as Router C, still it’s not working.

The route-map config as

Access-list 120 permit tcp 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255 any eq smtp

route-map EMAIL permit 10

match ip address 120

set ip next hop 192.168.0.1

interface gi0/1

ip policy route-map EMAIL

any suggestion or any other method to accomplish this?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

in your topology the 192.168.0.0/24 network is the network between router A and router C but SMTP traffic is sourced from another interface on router A not from router A itself.So you have to enable PBR on this interface and modify ACL to give correct subnet.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Hi,

in your case PBR won't be of no use, the only way to do this using PBR would be using the switch as a L3  and default gateway for LAN hosts and then use PBR on the switch applying the route-map on the VLAN interface of the LAN hosts with a next-hop of router C but you would have to use other subnets to the routers.

Maybe more expert people here will find another solution keeping your current topology but I don't see one.

Regards.

Alain

phoenix3195
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think you are assigning the policy route on the wrong interface. Try assigning it on the incoming direction. One more thing, with the route-map, you need to add the following:

route-map EMAILpermit 20.

And leave it empty, it usually won't work without an empty route-map line to match the rest of the traffic.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

in your topology the 192.168.0.0/24 network is the network between router A and router C but SMTP traffic is sourced from another interface on router A not from router A itself.So you have to enable PBR on this interface and modify ACL to give correct subnet.

Regards.

Alain.

Thanks for the replay

The LAN is on the same subnet (192.168.0.0/24) and which is connected to Switch, sorry its not direclty connected to Router A, but All the hosts are configure Router A as default gateway. still I wanted to make sure which is correct method to point Router C either local interface or ISP interface as next-hop to solve this issue? Thanks

Did you try to use a different set of static routes? A more longest match routing implementation could help.

Remaining on the route-map i would use an extended ACL matching the protocol you need for(SMTP), and then setting only for that acl the next hop to router C or whatever you want.

Hope it helps

Alessio

Hi,

in your case PBR won't be of no use, the only way to do this using PBR would be using the switch as a L3  and default gateway for LAN hosts and then use PBR on the switch applying the route-map on the VLAN interface of the LAN hosts with a next-hop of router C but you would have to use other subnets to the routers.

Maybe more expert people here will find another solution keeping your current topology but I don't see one.

Regards.

Alain

phoenix3195
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I think you are assigning the policy route on the wrong interface. Try assigning it on the incoming direction. One more thing, with the route-map, you need to add the following:

route-map EMAILpermit 20.

And leave it empty, it usually won't work without an empty route-map line to match the rest of the traffic.

Thanks

Hi Alain/Omran,

It's working. Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card