Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Route-map problem

I have setup a route-map to direct web traffic down the backup dsl line during normal operation.

vlan 1

lines ommitted

route-map web

route-map Web permit 10

match address 40

set interface dialer0

Note - normal routing directs all other traffic out of the Fastethernet.

If for instance i pull the cable out or the link is down it doesn't redirect the web out the normal fastether link because the dialer always appears up. If I shut down the interface it ignores the route map and works correctly.

Is there a way around this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Route-map problem

Got it. You need this feature to work in conjunction with PBR.

You can use the 'set ip next-hop verify-availability track x.x.x.x' under your route-map to track the actual state of the next hop connected via dialer. This command is an add-on to the existing the route map you are using for PBR. The link below should help you understand the concept.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080211f5c.shtml

Since dialer interface stays up/up (spoofed) even when the physical link is down you need a mechanism to detect whether the next hop is reachable is via dialer.

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

HTH,

Sundar

3 REPLIES

You can use a feature called reliable static route with object tracking to overcome this problem.

Take a look at the following link (white paper) to set it up.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_white_paper0900aecd801d5004.shtml

HTH,

Sundar

Thanks for response.

I have already a reliable route and ip tracking using ip sla and track.

Basically the main interface (fe0) sends out all traffic. If it fails all traffic goes out the DSL and switches back when the route is reported back.

In order to make use of the "backup" dsl bandwidth I have been routing web and smtp out of the dialer under normal conditions using route-maps. However, if the DSL "backup" fails web/smtp arnt re-routed to the main link because the dialer always appears good.

Got it. You need this feature to work in conjunction with PBR.

You can use the 'set ip next-hop verify-availability track x.x.x.x' under your route-map to track the actual state of the next hop connected via dialer. This command is an add-on to the existing the route map you are using for PBR. The link below should help you understand the concept.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk364/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080211f5c.shtml

Since dialer interface stays up/up (spoofed) even when the physical link is down you need a mechanism to detect whether the next hop is reachable is via dialer.

HTH,

Sundar

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content