Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Route maps

All,

I'm a little confused about route map functionality with regards to the deny statement. Do the following all do the same thing?

Ex. 1:

access-list 5 deny 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 5 permit any

route-map TEST permit 5

match ip address 5

route-map TEST permit 10

Ex. 2:

access-list 5 permit 1.1.1.0 0.0.0.255

route-map TEST deny 5

match ip address 5

route-map TEST permit 10

For some reason, I get caught on the deny clause. When it denies, does it actually deny those routes from being processed at all? If I were to apply the first example to a neighbor for bgp, would the 1.1.1.0 not show up in the routing table? It seems like it doesn't, but I want to make sure that I'm looking at this right.

*Edit: Actually, the route map doesn't stop the route from being put into the table. Are the deny statements ONLY for processing weights, metrics, etc, and if I need to deny a route from getting into the table, I should use a distribution list?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Route maps

Hello John,

when you use a route map deny statement if a prefix is permitted by the ACL it is actually filtered.

but if you have a route map deny statement with an ACL that denies a prefix that prefix is not filtered but left in basket and so can be permitted by the second clause.

So the two route-maps do different things:

first route-map allows only prefix 1.1.1.0/24 as a result of denying it and the permit any that will cause all other prefixes to be denied.

second route-map denies 1.1.1.0/24 and allows all other prefixes with second clause.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Would you say that the second example would act like a distribution list filter?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello John,

second route-map is equivalent to apply the acl 5 of first example as a distribute-list.

This looks like strange, isn't it?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies