cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Redistribution

eandrcisco007
Level 1
Level 1

We are curently redistributiong routes between eigrp to bgp and bgp to eigrp in our routers, 1st router being primary and the 2nd router as backup with below configuration :

Primary Router

====

Router eigrp x

network 0.0.0.0

network 0.0.0.0

passive-interface Loopback0

redistribute bgp XXXX route-map bgp to eigrp

redistribute static metric xx xx xx xx 

router bgp xxxxx

network 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0

bgp log-neighbor-changes

redistribute static

redistribute eigrp xx route-map eigrp to bgp

neighbor 0.0.0.0  update-source Loopback0

neighbor 0.0.0.0 remote-as xx

neighbor 0.0.0.0  default-originate

neighbor 0.0.0.0  soft-reconfiguration inbound

neighbor 0.0.0.0  update-source Loopback0

neighbor 0.0.0.0  distribute-list 10 in

neighbor 0.0.0.0  remote-as xxxxxx

neighbor 0.0.0.0  route-map local pref in

Backup Router

=====

router eigrp xx

network 0.0.0.0

network 0.0.0.0

redistribute static metric xx xxx xx xx xxx

redistribute bgp xxxxx route-map bgp to eigrp

router bgp xxxxx

no synchronization

bgp log-neighbor-changes

neighbor 0.0.0.0 update-source Loopback0

redistribute eigrp x route-map eigrp to bgp

neighbor 0.0.0.0 remote-as xx

neighbor 0.0.0.0 soft-reconfiguration inbound

neighbor 0.0.0.0 route-map as-prepend out

neighbor 0.0.0.0 remote-as xxxxx

My question is about performing redistribiution from eigrp into bgp and from bgp into eigrp on both routers and if this may create loss of info. down the road as well as a possible asymetric routing issue within our other locations , so i wonder if my point is valid.

Another question i have is about neighbor....... soft-reconfiguration inbound and since i have recently read about bgp v.4 that supports a feature called route refresh which provides the same function so i wonder if we can remove neighbor ..... soft-reconfiguration inbound from bgp configuration and if it would generate a negative or positive impact on bgp configuration.

Could anyone provide some feedback please?

4 Replies 4

Akash Agrawal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Will try to answer your queries

1. Any possibility of routing loop :

I am not sure about topology but while redistributing from eigrp to bgp, set some community and on other router while redistributing bgp to eigrp, dont redistribute prefixes with that community marked on R1.

Similarly while redistributing bgp to eigrp, set tag an use same tag not to redistribute back to bgp.

2.  Route Refresh vs Soft Reconfiguration

Please go through below link, having excellent explanation of both feature.

http://ccieblog.co.uk/bgp/route-refresh-capability-vs-soft-reconfiguration

--pls dont forget to rate helpful posts--

Regards,

Akash

Hi Akash,

Thank you vey much, you have answered my question about Route Refresh vs Soft Reconfiguration,

Would you please provide a bit more details about your comments about # 1, possibility of a loop please?

Hi,

Can you please elaborate your question on below lines

"My question is about performing redistribiution from eigrp into bgp and from bgp into eigrp on both routers and if this may create loss of info. down the road as well as a possible asymetric routing issue within our other locations , so i wonder if my point is valid."

I mentioned possibility of loop in scenario when on R1 you redistribute bgp routes to eigrp and on R2 redistribute same external eigrp routes back to bgp and advertising it back to same AS which advertised prefixes on R1. This may create routing loop. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Hi Akash,Now i got your point, at firest I was confused about your statemenet but i got it, you are correct, thank you.

I am going to look into it,

About Route Refresh vs Soft Reconfiguration and according to provided link and explanation, i assume route refresh  advertises its information as it expected but would that be enough to remove neighbor....... soft-reconfiguration inbound from the router bgp configuration without having any ipmact?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: