cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ROUTE TRACKING USING IP SLA

feroz syed
Level 3
Level 3

i have some confusion with IP SLA feature, in this topology i have two links from R1 to R2 and R3, and two default route one primary another one backup with higher AD value (R1-ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2- R1-ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.3.3.3 10) 

Without IP SLA if one link goes down R1 will automatically switch to backup link. 

what if th link between R2 via Internet wnt down ? is it possible to configure on R1 to check reachability to 8.8.8.8.if R1 not able to ping via R2 to 8.8.8.8, it should automatically switch to R1 to R3 link.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The more proper way of using IP SLA here is not about pinging the 8.8.8.8 which is in neither ISP's address space, but rather ping some specific IP address inside the particular ISP's address space. If that address is responding, the ISP is considered usable. If not, the ISP is unusable and you should move over to the other ISP.

Assume that ISP1 was using 22.22.22.22 on its own link between R2 and the Internet. You should be pinging that IP address instead of 8.8.8.8, and the configuration would be similar to this:

ip sla 1
 icmp-echo 22.22.22.22
 timeout 2000
 threshold 1000
 frequency 10
!
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now
!
track 1 rtr 1 ! In newer IOSes, this is track 1 ip sla 1 state
!
ip route 22.22.22.22 255.255.255.255 Serial1/0 2.2.2.2
ip route 22.22.22.22 255.255.255.255 Null0 2
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2 track 1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.3.3.3 2

The point of this configuration is to make sure that to reach the 22.22.22.22, you only use the link to ISP1, or drop the packets right away (i.e. you do not try to reach 22.22.22.22 mistakenly over ISP2 which could possibly work on real internet).

Does this make sense? Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

Hello

Without IP SLA if one link goes down R1 will automatically switch to backup link  -  Not necessary depends on were the link goes down

If R1 interace went down then yes the secondary static would come up but if the link failed at the isp end then the primary static would still be in the rib and balckhole you traffic unless you track the reachablity of the link to the isp

what if th link between R2 via Internet wnt down ? is it possible to configure on R1 to check reachability to 8.8.8.8.if R1 not able to ping via R2 to 8.8.8.8, it should automatically switch to R1 to R3 link - A wee bit harder as something like 8.8.8.8 would be reachable from either isp so you may still get reachbality and the tracking/ip sla would not get initacted - I would use something in the isp own address space to track instead to validate its availablity and remove the primary staitic is connection thorugh this isp isnt applicable

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The more proper way of using IP SLA here is not about pinging the 8.8.8.8 which is in neither ISP's address space, but rather ping some specific IP address inside the particular ISP's address space. If that address is responding, the ISP is considered usable. If not, the ISP is unusable and you should move over to the other ISP.

Assume that ISP1 was using 22.22.22.22 on its own link between R2 and the Internet. You should be pinging that IP address instead of 8.8.8.8, and the configuration would be similar to this:

ip sla 1
 icmp-echo 22.22.22.22
 timeout 2000
 threshold 1000
 frequency 10
!
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now
!
track 1 rtr 1 ! In newer IOSes, this is track 1 ip sla 1 state
!
ip route 22.22.22.22 255.255.255.255 Serial1/0 2.2.2.2
ip route 22.22.22.22 255.255.255.255 Null0 2
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2 track 1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 3.3.3.3 2

The point of this configuration is to make sure that to reach the 22.22.22.22, you only use the link to ISP1, or drop the packets right away (i.e. you do not try to reach 22.22.22.22 mistakenly over ISP2 which could possibly work on real internet).

Does this make sense? Please feel welcome to ask further!

Best regards,
Peter

Hello

Apologies peter had my browser window open to long and didnt see your responce..

res

Paul.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Paul,

Absolutely no need to apologize - you are welcome any time.

Best regards,
Peter

i will check your answer and tell you the result once i reach my room, thanks :)

Thanks Peter and Paul both explained well the use of ip sla. 

Hello

Without IP SLA if one link goes down R1 will automatically switch to backup link  -  Not necessary depends on were the link goes down

If R1 interace went down then yes the secondary static would come up but if the link failed at the isp end then the primary static would still be in the rib and balckhole you traffic unless you track the reachablity of the link to the isp

what if th link between R2 via Internet wnt down ? is it possible to configure on R1 to check reachability to 8.8.8.8.if R1 not able to ping via R2 to 8.8.8.8, it should automatically switch to R1 to R3 link - A wee bit harder as something like 8.8.8.8 would be reachable from either isp so you may still get reachbality and the tracking/ip sla would not get initacted - I would use something in the isp own address space to track instead to validate its availablity and remove the primary staitic is connection thorugh this isp isnt applicable

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: