Helpful
Replies

Routed Ports

m.metwally
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I'm a newbie to what's called Layer-3 Switching and Routed Ports

I Have 2 Layer-3 Switches (Cisco 3560 and 2960), I have my Headquaters LAN Network (192.168.0.0/24) and my Branch Network (192.168.1.0/24)

I want to use the WAN link to connect them to each other using Routed Ports (because actually I have no routers)

How can I configure that using Routed Ports on both switches - let's assume that I will use 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.100.2 for the routing interfaces

Thank in advance for your kind co-op

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all the 2960 is not a L3 switch.

On the 3560:

ip routing

interface x/y

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

interface vlan 10

ip address a.a.a.a m.m.m.m

That's it.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

m.metwally wrote:

Dear Experts,

I'm a newbie to what's called Layer-3 Switching and Routed Ports

I Have 2 Layer-3 Switches (Cisco 3560 and 2960), I have my Headquaters LAN Network (192.168.0.0/24) and my Branch Network (192.168.1.0/24)

I want to use the WAN link to connect them to each other using Routed Ports (because actually I have no routers)

How can I configure that using Routed Ports on both switches - let's assume that I will use 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.100.2 for the routing interfaces

Thank in advance for your kind co-op

As Paolo says the 2960 is not a L3 switch so on the 2960 use Paolo's config ie.

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.100.1

int gi0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

However the 3560 is a L3 switch so on that one

int gi0/1

no switchport

ip address 192.168.100.2

And enable "ip routing" on the 3560.

Jon

Either "no switchport" and address on interface, or "switchport" and address on VLAN, achieve the same result.

p.bevilacqua wrote:

Either "no switchport" and address on interface, or "switchport" and address on VLAN, achieve the same result.

Not really. The poster asked about routed ports. Routed ports cannot be switchports hence the "no switchport". Switchports work at L2 whereas routed ports do not.

They do achieve the same result but in a different way and it's an important difference. Switchport + vlan interface still run STP across the link, routed ports do not.

Jon

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

one basic question:

What type of WAN link are you using?

Is it terminated by FastEthernet ports on both sites?

HTH,

Milan

dears,

i have connected the two network successfully through two 3560 switches but, one of these 3560 switches (headquaters) is connected to three 2960 switches through cascaded trunks, so the other 356 switch (branch) can see only the devices that connected to the headquarters switch and cannot see any of other computers connected to any 2960 switches although in headquarters -internally- all devices can see each others

3 vlans are configured on the headqurters switches and trunks are configured simple as "switchport mode trunk"

plz advise

Wouldn't be better if you was to engage a Cisco dealer or reputable professional that can setup your network optimally in less than one hour ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card