cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routed Switch Virtual Interface vs. Routed Interface

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

What are the pros and cons of configuring a Switch Virtual Interface (SVI) versus a routed physical port between layer 3 switches?

For example, if I have two 4506s and have a need to run HSRP and route between them which feature is better and why?

switch_a

!

interface vlan 25

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface fa0/1

switchport mode trunk

switch_b

!

interface vlan 25

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

!

interface f0/1

switchport mode trunk

----------------------------------

switch_a

!

interface fa0/1

no switchport

ip add 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

switch_b

!

interface f0/1

no switchport

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you make a port a routed port, that is point-to-point port, menacing you can only have one port/interface for that subnet.  When you create an SVI, that is vlan interface meaning you can assign more then one port/host to that vlan/subnet specially when you are using a /24.  Usually for a routed port you use a /30, because that is all you need. For an SVI you use a bigger subnet i.e. /26, /25, 24, etc.... so you can add more hosts/ports to that subnet.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you make a port a routed port, that is point-to-point port, menacing you can only have one port/interface for that subnet.  When you create an SVI, that is vlan interface meaning you can assign more then one port/host to that vlan/subnet specially when you are using a /24.  Usually for a routed port you use a /30, because that is all you need. For an SVI you use a bigger subnet i.e. /26, /25, 24, etc.... so you can add more hosts/ports to that subnet.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card